Workout of the Month: Fall in Love with Cardio
If you’re more likely to cut ties than go steady with your cardio routine, it’s time to recommit as cardiovascular exercise is one of the best ways to ensure the long-term health of your heart. Try these workouts and rekindle the magic of your routine:
Take On the Treadmill
Add variety to spice up your cardio workout by changing speed, resistance and incline throughout the workout to alternate high intensity intervals with recovery.
- Start with a five-minute warm up at 3 mph with a 1 percent incline.
- Follow with five minutes of slow jogging (4 to 5 mph).
- Pick up the pace (6 mph+) for one minute and run at a 2 percent incline or more.
- Return to the jogging pace at a 1 percent incline for two minutes.
- Repeat run/jog intervals 2 to 3 more times before returning to a five-minute walk.
Step up to the Summit
Incorporate a pyramid technique on the Summit Trainer machine.
- Build your intensity gradually and at your own pace for the first five minutes.
- Cap it with a one-minute, high-intensity burst.
- Return to a comfortable level of difficulty for two minutes before kicking back up to a higher intensity for one minute.
- Repeat these intervals at least 3 times before cooling down for five minutes.
Remember to go at your own pace and modify these workouts for your level of fitness.